Monday 12 May 2014

[Interview] Sukairi

I'm going to begin my cosplayer interviews with Sukairi, a sweet and talented cosplayer from London. Be sure to check out her Facebook page here!

Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura) Photo by N.Atari COS
What inspired you to start cosplaying?

S: I have loved anime since I was really young, I used to wake up early with my brother and watch hours full of anime and I always kind of liked what they wore... I remember watching Cardcaptor Sakura and wanting to have all her outfits because they were all really pretty! I remember one day I was searching for some manga pictures for a project at school and google search added cosplay to the manga I was searching. I just clicked on it and I was like oh my gosh that looks so cool! I looked up more and more and thats when I came across FDP (Fighting Dreamers Pro) on Youtube. They were probably what really inspired me to cosplay. It looked so fun and I got to meet other people who love anime too in a really happy way, like I could really be myself and just be accepted for who I am.



What about people who inspire you - do you have any cosplay 'idols'?

S: Oh my I have way too many cosplay idols, I follow too many I have lost count! I like to say that many of my cosplay friends inspire me and I look up to them. I think probably like big idols are Yugene, ATO and Shibuki, though there are so many amazing cosplayers in the world and I hope one day I could meet them or even be inspiring like them.
Aladdin (Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic) Photo by MichiFox Cosplay

How long have you been cosplaying?

S: Hmm...I think I have been into cosplay for at least 6 /7 years, but the last 4 years or so I have been getting into it more and spending more time (and money!) on my cosplays to make them best I can.

What has been your most memorable moment? 

S: Oh I think every convention I go to is really memorable as I get to meet new people and see amazing cosplayers and everyone having so much fun being themselves, away from any trouble that they have. I think last October at MCM Comic Con was really a big memory for me because I got to be with my friends after such a long time and got to share a hotel with them, that was so much fun. I really hope MCM Comic Con next week will have lots of memories too!

What are your upcoming convention & cosplay plans?

S: Next week is London MCM Comic Con which I will be going to for all three days. I don't really plan for certain any conventions other than MCM because it depends on money and holidays and things like that, but I might go to Hyper Japan as I've never been before. My upcoming cosplans are my cosplays for MCM next week which are Cirno -Touhou Project, Raspberyl - Disgaea and Madoka Kaname - Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
  
What has been your favourite costume to make/wear so far? 

S: Hmm...I think so far it has to be my Articuno Gijinka as I spent so much time on it and I was really happy how it came out! Its definitely one of my biggest cosplays and it might be the biggest I will do. I cannot wait to do a shoot with it, hopefully in next few months!

What would be your dream cosplay?

S: Oh hmm... maybe something with armour, like an RPG type cosplay with a big weapon. Also something that lights up all amazing, or a character from Dynasty Warriors because their outfits are so pretty and detailed and I love traditional Chinese clothes.

Asahina Wataru (Brother's Conflict) Photo by Smile250 Network and LoveStrucked Productions
You're cosplaying Madoka Kaname at MCM Expo, how hard has that costume been to make? Why did you choose to cosplay her?

S: Well its actually a little funny that my materials are not very good so I've had to have some help making it now, so not a lot of me will be making my Madoka costume as my friend who is helping is long distance so... but my Cirno cosplay was fun to make! Not too difficult but happy how it all came together. But the reason I choose Madoka is because I really love magical girls and I can relate to her a lot with how she thinks of herself and others.

What advice would you give someone who's just beginning/wanting to try cosplay?

S: Hmm... maybe to cosplay characters who you really love and can relate to, and not because someone told you to is a big thing I think as if you don't like the character, you wont like cosplaying and cosplaying is about fun and being happy! Also don't let others put you down on your cosplay, if it makes you happy that's all that counts, making friends along the way and memories is what you should look forward to!
Articuno (Pokémon) Photo by Chantele Smith Photography

Why do you cosplay? 

S: I cosplay because it really makes me happy and has totally helped me with my confidence. Socially, im still quite shy and have low self esteem but I have come a long long way all because of cosplay. I have met some amazing people who mean the world to me and are my cosplay family.


What has been the most challenging costume for you so far?

S: Probably my Articuno Gijinka because that was my first proper dress. It had a very long trail, pearl details and lots of layers, but I am really happy with it.

What are your favourite series? Have you ever or will you ever cosplay from them?

S: I don't really have a favourite series as I have watched lots of animes, and most of them I really love and all have their moments which I love them for, but there are some series which I am thinking about cosplaying from that currently are not part of my cosplay plans like Soul Eater, Chrono Crusade, Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyōbi, Kingdom Hearts, To Aru Majutsu no Kinsho Moku Roku, Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai... those are just some of them.

That's quite a list! Last question, what's your favourite thing about cosplaying?

S: My favourite thing is meeting new people and making memories
as well as making things and such, I think that's the best thing I like about it. And being able to truly be myself and not have to worry, I'm doing something I really love with people I love too and that I think is really amazing and I am really lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment